Monday 2 May 2011

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger

The Strange Case of Origami YodaTarget Audience: Kids
Genre: Fiction

So I had a day off work and I decide to do my usual poking around the bookstores in Canterbury and this book catches my eye! At first I walked away towards the fantasy section, but I was drawn straight back to it by some unknown force (Maybe 'The Force' who knows?) and I had to buy it. I mean it's about an Origami Yoda that gives out advice and predicts the future! Is it as epic as the title sounds? Definitely!

In summary, this story is Tommy's collection of case files of instances where Origami Yoda has been used to give advice in an effort to decide whether to take his advice himself. The problem is Origami Yoda belongs to Dwight, who is clueless, often disgusting and very irritating and so for Tommy, it seems impossible that someone like that could be giving advice through hand puppet. Should Tommy ask Sara to dance with him? Is Yoda right? Or will he be rejected all because he listened to a hand puppet?

Let the analysis begin! And boy is it funny!  Not only do you have first hand accounts of those who have taken Yoda's advice but there are also very amusing comments and drawings that had me in stitches of laughter. This book is so childlike in much of it's writing yet oddly adult in other parts.
Despite the funny exterior, there is a strong moral lessons to be learned about bullying within these pages and it's very cleverly written and Dwight who is thought to be stupid, is actually quite surprising and to me turns out to be one of the best characters in the book.

Needless to say this is a quick, lighthearted and very funny read. Yes, it's aimed at kids but since I'm 24 and I loved it, I think that no matter what your age you should definitely give this book a go. And then once you've read it, don't forget to make your own Origami Yoda, the instructions are in the book!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...