Sunday 26 February 2012

The Girl in the Mask by Marie-Louise Jensen

The Girl in the MaskRelease Date: 01/03/12
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Pages: 320
Target Audience: Teens/Young Adults
Genre: Historical Fiction/Fiction/Romance

SynopsisSet in Georgian England, fifteen-year-old Sophia is trapped by the limitations of living in a man's world. Forced by her father to give up everything she loves, Sophia is ordered to make a new life in Bath. By day, she is trapped in the social whirl of balls and masquerades. By night, she secretly swaps her ball gowns for breeches, and turns to highway robbery to get her revenge . . . When one man begins to take a keen interest in her, Sophia must keep her distance, or risk unmasking her secret life.

My Review: There's something to be said about how awesome a book is when it keeps me reading until 3.40 AM and believe me that hasn't happened in a while so hats off to Marie for writing such an absorbing book.
I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, but sometimes it can feel like the same story retold. Not in this case. The story itself had so many bumps, twists and turns I could no sooner predict the ending than I can tomorrow's weather :)

Sophia was a one of a kind character and though sometimes her acts of rebellion made my stomach clench just knowing how much trouble she would get into, I couldn't help but cheer her along. I related to Sophia on so many levels since staying indoors for too long drives me nuts and as for not reading, well, if my father had been like hers I think I would have gone insane. Separating a girl from her books? Disgraceful!
Her father was just...urgh! I think I have my new favourite villain although he is closely followed be Sophia's Aunt Amelia.

Now as for the lovely Sophia robbing at night? I loved it. Granted there is something very naughty about the idea but ultimately something very romantic and rebellious that I just can't seem to explain properly and I have to admit that the girl has guts, especially considering the people she steals from.
Add in the lovely Mr Charleton, some political scandal, some pretty intense peril and a not so expected ending and you have a book that will keep you turning the pages until you reach the end.

If there's one thing I have learned from reading Miss Jensen's books it's that if I were to exist in some of these past times, I think I would have been arrested ;-) Anyway, go read this book! For fans of historical fiction with a dash of action and romance, this a must read.


1 comment:

  1. I really liked this one too! I was a little disappointed by the ending though, I definitely think there should be a sequel, some things needed expanding on, I think.

    I added a link to your review on my review. :D

    ComaCalm's Review of Girl in the Mask

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...